Eating foods that vibrate in harmony with themselves, our bodies and nature will help us to heal and to thrive.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

My Homemade Dog Food Recipe

Over the last few months, I have been making my dogs' food myself.  My smaller dog never liked eating store-bought food.  He used to dump his bowl over and then walk away, leaving the food on the floor!  Over the years, I have tried several brands for them, moving away from the popular, but highly toxic Science Diet, once learned about the dangers of GMO corn and soy.  I even bought ones with more organic ingredients, but little Murphy still dumped his bowl over.  So, finally, I decided to make it myself.  Now, he gets so excited to eat his meals, he whimpers at me and jumps around until I give him his food!  They both devour every morsel as quickly as they can.  I feel so good that I can give them what they need and what they like each day.  It does take some time, but it is so worth it.  Our dogs are an integral and important part of our family and they deserve healthy foods, too!


I spent a lot of time researching until I came up with this recipe.  The added nutrients I learned about from Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats.  I make his "Healthy Powder" in bulk and keep it in the refrigerator and then add 4 spoonfuls to each batch of food I make.  You can make as large of a batch as you want and freeze it.  I prefer to make smaller batches and use them right away.  But, I have made more when I have had to go out of town and freezing them worked out perfectly.  This is the most common recipe I use for them, but I have also used chicken and also eggs as a protein base.

My little Murphy can't digest any veggies except for sweet potatoes, although Hollie is fine with other veggies.  So, if you want to add more veggies and see how your dog does, you can do that.



Ingredients:
2 pounds of organic or natural (no antibiotics or hormones) ground beef
2 organic sweet potatoes
Organic olive oil
Dr. Pitcairn's Healthy Powder (see link above)
2/3 scoop of organic wheatgrass powder
Three or four handfuls of organic, gluten free oats
coconut or safflower oil for cooking

Add ins:
I add a little bit of cod liver oil to their bowl in the morning and a scoop of plain, organic yogurt with their dinner.

Directions:
Boil the sweet potatoes until completely soft
Once they are cooled a bit, peel them.
Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
Add the beef and brown.
Once the meat is cooked, remove from the heat.  Pour olive oil over it and mix it in.  Add the sweet potatoes and mix together with a spoon or spatula.  Add the oats and then mix 4 tsp of Healthy Powder and the wheatgrass.
Allow to cool and then feed the happy dogs!
Store in the refrigerator or freezer and use as needed.  This much would last quite a while for a small dog, but with my Golden Retriever and the little guy together, it only lasts three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment