Eating foods that vibrate in harmony with themselves, our bodies and nature will help us to heal and to thrive.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Low Oxalate Veggie Dinner

 
It's been about two months since I have been off of the Low Oxalate Diet. For people who are not vegetarians, this is not that difficult of a diet to use. However, I am a vegetarian and have been for a very long time, so this was the most difficult diet I have ever done. For anyone who doesn't know, oxalates are only found in plants! The diet is used by people with ASD, kidney stones, and for women with different types of vulvar pain issues. The people at the Vulvar Pain Foundation have done the most extensive scientific research I could find about the amounts of oxalates in different foods. If you need information like this, you have to purchase their book, The Low Oxalate Cookbook 2. It is worth it just for the charts and other research information, but there are recipes in there, too. While I was on the diet, I found that I could not have any of my favorite spices at all, and most of the veggies that were lower in oxalates weren't my favorite ones, either. So, it took me awhile to find a way to make my food taste good. The solution was coconut oil! I have found that any rice or veggies taste great with some coconut oil and sea salt! So simple, and coconut oil also has many health benefits, too! So, here's my low oxalate dinner for tonight, complete with organic, unrefined coconut oil (because this kind is the most healthy and tastes the best!) and a little sea salt for added flavor. Coconut is a low oxalate food, too. I still have to be careful not to overdo it on the oxalates, although I have now added some back in like some beans and nuts (thank goodness!). Most grains and all soy are high in oxalates, so if you are a vegetarian and need to go on the Low Oxalate Diet, I do recommend eating eggs (free range and organic, of course) because otherwise there is just not enough protein.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. I wish there was a low oxalate vegetarian cookbook. Do you know of one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there had been one when I was going through this diet, as well. Doing it as a vegetarian was extremely difficult. I just used the charts of the oxalate amounts in The Low Oxalate Cookbook and what I found online and came up with my own recipes. I think that doing it without eggs would be impossible. If you can eat dairy, you are in good shape, though. I did it without dairy and it was very hard. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a vegetarian, also preparing to go on LOD. If you want more veggie recipes, try the yahoo group trying_low_oxalates. There are a lot of links to click on once you get inside the group. Just log in, click on the link that says "files" in the blue box on the left, then scroll down and mid-way down the page you will find a recipes section. You have to dig through to find veggie recipes, but they are there! This is also just a great support group to help you on your journey. Also check out the file "resource for beginners". Good Luck on Your Journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The low oxalate diet is hard while trying to remain vegan, but it is very do-able if you eat eggs and/or dairy. I remained vegetarian for a number of years while on the LO diet,until some other health concerns made me do some deep soul-searching about why I was vegetarian and if adding meat might be beneficial. My blog features many vegetarian low oxalate recipes and sometime this week I hope to have a vegan protein bar posted (still a couple tweaks to make). Although it is not a vegetarian website and features some meat dishes, I am very aware of the needs of vegetarians and try to post vegetarian recipes (or modifications to recipes) whenever I can.
    Good luck to all of you.
    Heidi

    http://lowoxalatefamily.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am vegan, and have to eat a low oxalate diet now due to chronic kidney stones (had stones before I was vegan). I'm STARVING as I type this. I go to the store and search for HOURS on my phone as I shop. There is almost nothing I can eat with protein. Soy is out, tofu is a no no, vegan meats are out, protein drinks are out, most beans are out. The only thing I can eat with protein is black eyed peas (which gives me awful stomach cramps), peas, and that's about it. I'm so lost and depressed. I LOVE cooking, and loved all the vegan meals and recipes and cookies I perfected. I REFUSE to eat animal products. My body is allergic to anything with animal products in it. I get itchy hives, itchy nose, constipation, nausea, the works. I'm so lost right now. I'm wondering why I am allergic to most of the foods on this earth? I'm not from here. I want to go home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, there, "Anonymous". I hope my response gets to you. I hear you and I understand deeper than you may know. I felt so sad when I read your post and I can truly relate to your struggles. Please don't give up. There are more possibilities than most people know about. You might like to visit my actual website www.empoweredthriving.com where you'll find lots of resources for you as a sensitive, otherworldly being. Have you ever tried doing some natural therapies for healing the food sensitivities and healing the gut? Have you tried using digestive enzymes and probiotics? You also can feel more full for now if you increase your healthy fat (coconut oil and olive oil) intake. I also have some energy techniques that I've developed for very sensitive people to use for themselves so that they can process and digest food more easily. They are in my book, The Foundations System. I was heartbroken when I had to stop being a vegan, but my body just couldn't function well after almost 25 years on the diet. But my health did improve, and when I use the energy techniques, I can process the foods I need to eat now. Much love to you and I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete