Eating foods that vibrate in harmony with themselves, our bodies and nature will help us to heal and to thrive.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Vanilla Almond Flour Cake

 
Yum! These were supposed to be cupcakes, but I didn't have any baking cups, so I baked it in a cake pan. Today at my son's school, a parent brought in some store bought cupcakes for St. Patrick's Day. Of course, these are not considered "harmonic foods" due to the fact that they are highly over-processed, full of additives, preservatives, bleached white flour, and refined white sugar (which is probably GMO sourced). So, I made this delicious treat for my son to make up for the fact that he didn't get to eat the cupcakes at school. I found the recipe on this blog www.nopainnograin.blogspot.com She got the recipe from Elana Amsterdam's, The Almond Flour Cookbook. I substituted honey for the agave and organic safflower oil for the grapeseed oil. I also didn't make the icing, it's fantastic plain. I couldn't take a picture of the whole cake because we had dug into eating it before I even got to the camera!
Here's the recipe:

Very Vanilla Cupcakes
(adapted from The Almond Flour Cookbook by Elana Amsterdam)

2 large organic free range eggs, separated
1/4 c oil (I used organic safflower oil)
1/2 c agave (I used honey, which makes them SCD Legal)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 10 muffin cups. You must use paper cup liners, or the cupcakes will stick to the pan.
Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl until pale yellow. Whisk in the oil, agave, vanilla and lemon juice.
In a separate bowl, beat egg whites to stiff peaks with an electric mixer.
Gently fold the whites into the yolk mixture.
Combine the dry ingredients. Gently fold into the wet ingredients.
Scoop batter into muffin cups.
Bake 20-30 minutes, until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted comes out clean (mine took about 25 minutes).
Let cool in the pan for half an hour, then frost if desired, and/or serve.
Makes 10 cupcakes or one layer cake.

Enjoy!!!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. Hi, I was just wondering, can you change out the lemon juice with another flavour? Would it change the constitution of the cake or anything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jess. I'm not really sure, but from all of my experimenting with foods, I know that there is always another way, and always another substitution. I bet you could use vinegar instead. I'm thinking the lemon juice might have something to do with making a reaction with the baking soda to create the consistency of the cake. It doesn't make it taste like lemon really. I know that vinegar and baking soda has that kind of reaction, too. Apple cider vinegar would probably work great. Let me know how it turns out and what you end up using!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I was wondering if you have to use blanched almond flour or if it can just be regular almond flour. I got some at Trader Joe's, but it is not blanched. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure, you can use regular almond flour! Enjoy! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more question-what does blanching it do? Does it taste different or make it more healthy or something? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. The blanching removes the skin of the almonds, thus resulting in a more fine, lighter colored flour. Currently, I prefer to use the entire almond for maximum nutritional value. You can find this as almond meal.

      Delete
  6. sometimes folks with sensitive tummies cant handle the skins of the almonds...

    ReplyDelete